Justin at 7.5 months

Justin at 7.5 months
his first pontoon boat ride

Austin at 1 year

Austin at 1 year
when dandelion seeds are still cute

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

why why why why why

Austin's newest thing to say. It's been going on for close to a week now. It was cute the first day, but I knew what we were in for. And we are in for...

He has been doing really well with potty training. I started him this summer outside w/nothing on his lower half (the neighbors were THRILLED!) and a shirt that was to small on top (daddy LOVED that!). I put his little potty chair outside on the patio and his outside toys and a little baby pool, and he went on it like a champ. (Anytime that first week that we were inside his potty chair was on the kitchen/dining room area vinyl.) He was just getting into gum about that time (literally, w/o asking), so I decided to use it as a reward, not a bribe (is there a difference?). That kid chewed, and swallowed, lots of gum in those first couple of weeks. The second week we were outside we kept on the shirt that was to small (daddy is STILL loving it!) and we put on underwear. We practiced pulling them down. The third week we put on a regular shirt and shorts that were easy to get down. We practiced getting them down and off quickly. By this time he was regularly going on the big potty in the house w/the help of a smaller seat and a stool. The smaller seat only lasted a couple of weeks, he soon took it off. He still needs the stool to get up. He has more accidents now than in the first month of potty training. He waits to long to go, and then goes on the bathroom floor right in front of the toilet. We only used a diaper for nap time for the first 2 weeks. He always stayed dry, so that was easy to quit using. However, I am not ready to take that chance at night. I would say he stays dry overnight 90% of the time, but that other 10%, coupled with daytime accidents he can avoid, will keep him in a nighttime diaper for awhile. But he knows he is suppose to keep it dry. If we put it on him too early at night, he takes it off to go to the bathroom. And in the morning when it is still dry, he is very proud of himself and says what a good and big boy he is. In regards to pooping, he has only ever had 3 accidents in his underwear, and all three times he was on his way but didn't make it. Thank God he is not the type of child who will hide and do it or just not care that he has done it. Truly, thank you Lord for the ease of this child's potty training. I was not thrilled about taking this on, but God blessed me with a child who was ready. Not to bad for a kid that turned 2 in May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that whole thing to find out what it was Austin is now saying all the time, and when I reached the end, still hadn't figured it out. So started over, and I guess what he is saying is "Why Why Why Why Why"...right? I thought you were the one saying "Why". I'm a little dense sometimes. Just ask my husband, especially after last night. No, that would be sinful, not dense. How about densely sinful...or sinfully dense? Really, it's not funny. The verse I'm learning today is James 1:19, which really hit me between the eyeballs this morning: "Be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger..." Ouch. I'm needing a big dose of your elephant ears and mouse mouth.

Also, when did Justin go on a pontoon boat ride, and why wasn't I invited?!