Justin at 7.5 months

Justin at 7.5 months
his first pontoon boat ride

Austin at 1 year

Austin at 1 year
when dandelion seeds are still cute

Friday, August 29, 2008

Proverbs 2:13, study among sisters in Christ

8/29/08
http://www.letgodbetrue.com/proverbs/proverbs.php?chapter=2

Proverbs 2:13
Who leave the paths of uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness;


Backsliders are a grave danger! Carnal Christians are a threat to your soul! Evil men do not stay in the way of righteousness, even when taught well. They soon compromise what they were taught in order to pursue sin (2:12-15). The purpose of wisdom, knowledge, discretion, and understanding is to save you from such wicked compromisers (2:10-17).

I can see how "backsliders" could be more of a danger to "soft" christians than your average every day unbeliever. As a christian, "soft" or well-versed, an unbeliever is usually easy to spot and easy to avoid or engage in religious conversations. However, a "backslider" may only be easy to spot because you know them personally and they aren't usually receptive to any religious anythings! Sadly, my husband is experiencing this first hand with his brother, who he credits for helping to plant the seeds of knowledge and truth in his life. Since those seeds were planted and took root in my husbands life, his brother (who used to teach Sunday school in a baptist church), has gone through adultery, divorce, leaving the church, partying, marriage to an unbeliever, more adultery, and facing another divorce. We tried to have a very candid conversation with him before his first divorce, and it fell on deaf ears. Matt takes every opportunity to talk with him about his "backsliding," but those are few and far between. We don't pray for him enough!

Altho this passage brought the above incident to mind immediately, it isn't the only thing that came to mind. I also thought about people like me who are professing believer's, go to church regularly, who are involved in church, who are very hungry to hear the word of God preached every Sunday (by a fantastic pastor and man of God), who know their transgressions like the back of their hand, and who still choose sin over God regularly. AND THEN there are the same types of professing believer's who fit all of the same above mentioned descriptions, but DON"T know their transgressions quite so intimately. Whether its because they aren't being convicted by them or because they have excuses for them, either way, its still sin. So, my point is this...we are all going to be judged for the sin in our lives. The bible makes it clear that there are those that will be judged more harshly: "backsliders" and shepherds who lead their flocks astray, to name a couple. How harshly am I going to be judged for knowing the truth and rejecting it daily? I don't know, and I can't even begin to imagine. But I know this, I will face Him, I will fall on my face in front of Him, and I will be with Him forever. Whatever I have to face will be worth the gift He has promised me. So, knowing that, I need to pray every day for the strength to choose Him first in my life, and only in my life. For there is no room for any other choice, and He won't share the spotlight. Thank God!!!

Dear heavenly Father, please help me to allow Your rule over my life. Please do the same for my sisters. Amen.

No comments: