Justin at 7.5 months

Justin at 7.5 months
his first pontoon boat ride

Austin at 1 year

Austin at 1 year
when dandelion seeds are still cute

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Where do I begin?

I have a bone, or two, to pick w/a few children's books. Why? Because I have trouble letting go, that's why! Yes, I know, I need to pray about it. Later! On with the picking....

Book #1) Known to be a "reformed friendly" children's bible story book. We are on our way through it for the 3rd time. I have decided that it bothers me that it doesn't mention Cain killing Abel, or that it only mentions Isaac and not Ishmael. I know that as a children's bible story book, some things have to go. But, in my humble opinion, those are 2 important things.

Book #2) A Golden Book for children about different things God is responsible for. There is a page that talks about the stars and how their light has been shining for many years, "...way before you were even born..." and, "..think of the snow-capped mountains that have been here long before God made the world..." Really? Guess what happened to that paragraph? It became ink art-work (I scratched it out.).

Book #3) A recent purchase by grandma, who is VERY picky about the books she buys for anyone, has several issues that I have found just in the first 24 hours we have had it and have read from it. It has stories and songs and games, and much more. The stories are in the order that they appear in the bible. Issue #1) The first story, "God made the world," has a song to sing that starts out telling the kids that God made the world in 7 days. It goes on to say that He made the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Minor issue? Maybe, if there weren't any other issues. Issue #2) Still same story. In the prayer section it says, "Dear God, we know You made the earth, and all the stars above, You made the world then added us, so You'd have someone to love! Amen" Don't think so. It paints a picture of a soft, vulnerable God who was sitting up there all lonely and decided to make himself some playmates. Issue #3) (I skipped ahead just for fun.) Story "Follow Me Fisherman." The story explains that Jesus "invited" the 2 brothers, Peter & Andrew to follow Him. Pretty sure the bible says He "told" them to leave everything and "follow Him."

My point, yes there is one and no, it isn't just to find something to complain about, is this: if I am responsible for teaching my child about God and the bible, I don't want to have to keep clarifying/re-teaching/disagreeing with everything he reads. I know that I can't avoid this entirely, but I think I have a responsibility to try as hard as I can to making the best choices for him. It's like washing your hands, you can't avoid all germs entirely, but as a steward of the body God has given you, you have a responsibility to do the best that you can to prevent yourself from getting germs, and spreading germs to anyone else. (I have to give credit for the idea of the analogy to a very close friend of mine. Recently she said some of these very words to me.) Hopefully this venting will help me sleep better. I really don't need any help, I usually sleep just fine when I actually go to bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you've certainly hit upon one of my pet peeves! And Grandma is very, very sorry for buying that book, feel free to pitch it and keep the finger puppet (or do more "ink art!") Not like I had time to read it thoroughly in the 30 seconds I had to look it over! Will try to do much better in the future. Even the "reformed friendly" story book you're talking about (many raves on Amazon, kudos on trusted reformed websites, etc.), I also have issues with the way some things are presented (example: the book says that God told Noah He would never again destroy the earth. Period. Not never destroy it again "as I have done," just never destroy it.) I think all this just helps to demonstrate that "every word of God proves true" Proverbs 30.5. We must be ever vigilant in everything else we read, no matter how much praise how been heaped upon it by even those we trust..and even if it comes from supposedly "approved" material (ie, the story about Cain and Abel). But we never have to wonder if God's word is true! So I guess us moms and dads and grandmas and SS teachers and children's church leaders will need to not only be constantly on our guard with everything we read...except the Bible...we must also KNOW the Bible so that we can properly discern the truth.